My Secret Recipe for the BEST Salsa Ever
This might just be the best recipe you'll ever get your hands on. It's the one I make every time I'm required to bring something to a potluck, and it always steals the show with lots of fanfare. On top of that it's fresh, can be served with chicken or fish, and is dairy and gluten free. Everyone loves it.
My family has been making this for as long as I can remember (fairly sure it came from a neighbor from many years ago). The ingredients are super interchangeable, so if you like a hotter salsa (I do!) add an extra jalapeño pepper. Only have one tomato on hand? It's all good, you can use two next time. Basically it's the perfect thing to throw together any old time. I can even eat it with a spoon.
Making the salsa can be a bit time consuming, but if you're willing to spend an hour chopping, the result is beautiful. If you're not planning on showing it off and the batch is just for you, you can definitely make it with a blender or food processer. I have a Vitamix which is awesome in more ways than I can count, but if you're looking for something not so heavy duty, this food processor from Black and Decker is super affordable and has great reviews.
Secret Weapon Salsa
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red onion. peeled and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers (I like to use red, orange or yellow to add some color!)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (2 if you want hotter salsa), remove pith but save and finely chop seeds and pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 handful chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
I tend to add the last three ingredients based on taste. Usually I just pour the red wine vinegar until I see a pool in the bottom of the bowl, and then stir everything before tasting. I almost always add another splash after that. Same goes for the salt - I tend to throw some extra in after tasting.
Photos by Taylor!